In for a Penny, In for a Pound

Monday, December 17, 2007

The Great and Powerful Oz

I made an appointment with a personal trainer.

There are three sessions included free with my membership, and so I figured I would get acclimated and figure out what I should be doing and how.

I am sort of motivated and repulsed by the whole experience. First of all, I walked in, and I KNEW my trainer.

This is the second face from my past that I have encountered in the past week, and it was kind of eerie, but OK.

I got weighed, measured in inches, and had my body fat percentage measured with calipers. Not too traumatic, but kind of irritating. Ironically, the calipers put me at 12% less bodyfat than my Tanita scale, so I guess I should be happy with that. The goal is evidently to get below 20%, and I am not sure if I am behind that or not. The downside is that weighing in fully clothed, including shoes, after a huge meal....eeeeeeeeegh.

We ascertained that I had no cardiovascular disease, no diabetes, hereditary high cholesterol (but it's the "good" cholesterol that makes it high, so no biggie) and no injuries.

I did really well on the fitness testing, which was a shock. 64 mini-crunches in a minute, 31 modified push-ups in a minute....go figure. My trainer said I did more crunches in a minute than any of her other clients. She managed not to sound too surprised when she said it. Then she said, "Nothing is standing in your way. Six months from now, you won't recognize yourself."

I am nothing if not competitive. I think I went over to the dark side, and suddenly I came back to myself, and she was talking about L-carnitine and colon cleanses and working out 6 times a week and keeping almonds in my gym bag, and I kind of went, "Wait, what?!!"

I have another appointment on Wednesday morning, to get acclimated to the rest of the weight machines and to see if I am happy with the direction things are going in. She asked if I wanted to draft a diet plan, and I said "No, I am not planning on counting calories. I am just planning on making more healthy choices, eating out less, and working out more." And thank goodness, she left it at that.

So yeah, motivated, but repulsed. Nonplussed, maybe? Maybe I will have a clearer picture in the morning.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home