In for a Penny, In for a Pound

Monday, January 07, 2008

It's a win/win

This week is going to be a big test. Work picks up again, and I still want to do the gym 6 days a week, so I am getting my schedule together. With the weird hours my husband is working, I like that gym time is also together time.

I called The Man at work this morning, to ask what time he wanted to go to the gym.
He said he would go with me when he got home at noon. Then he needed to relax. At 1 PM, I checked on him and he was watching Heroes.

"Um, do you still want to go?"

"Yeah, let me finish this thing!"

Of course, part of the problem here is that my trainer advised me not to eat before the gym. So I was also starving, which didn't help. It also doesn't help that it is not the first time we have been through this particular time management issue.

At 1:40, I knocked on the door.

"I am leaving in 20 minutes."

"OK! I'll get ready."

2:00. I check, and he is still sitting in front of the laptop in his underwear.

I just yelled,"BYE!" and took off.

I got in a great workout, did a little extra cardio, upped the resistance on the elliptical, and tried the x-country ski machine. I also decided to do crunches on one of the big bouncy balls and forgo my usual ab machines. It was a nice switch.

When I got home, The Man was still watching TV. I didn't say anything to him, and by the time he finally emerged, it was his bedtime (4PM- he has to be at work at midnight.)

"Wanna do something?" he asked. it was obvious that he figured I would be annoyed, and he was right.

"Isn't it time for you to be asleep?" I asked, knitting furiously.

"Well, I feel bad, I haven't spent any time with you today."

I sort of bit my tongue. But I didn't say, "Well, whose fault is that?"

I said, "You know, I am just not going to ask you to go to the gym with me anymore. I will just go by myself."

He just looked at me, and said, "I know. I'm sorry."

And I said, "Well, when you make plans with me and then blow me off to watch TV, it makes me feel really unimportant to you. If you have other priorities, say so, and don't leave me hanging around all day."

We have a date to go to the gym together tomorrow when he gets home at 8. I really hope he is going to come through this time.

If not, I won't sweat it, I will just go by myself.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home